Check out these simple tips to ensure you and your loved safe and prevent electrical injury.
- If your outlet has a missing or broken cover plate, replace it immediately. Outlet covers create a barrier between people and exposed wires;
- Install tamper-resistant receptacles to protect younger children from shocks. They have special shutters that cover the plug slots and help prevent fingers or objects from going into the outlet;
- Never overload outlets by plugging in too many cords. Use an approved power bar that has surge protection instead.
- Always remove a cord from the outlet by grasping the plug. Do not pull on the cord, this can damage the cord, appliance, and the outlet.
- Replace frayed cords; tape won’t protect anyone from a shock.
- Water and electricity can be a lethal mix. Install Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters (GFCIs) in any room with water (bathrooms, kitchens and laundry rooms).
- If you need electrical work done in your home, only hire a Licensed Electrical Contractor .
- Use Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters (GFCIs) on all outdoor outlets.
- Use electric lawnmowers on dry grass only. Do not mow the lawn while it is raining.
- Keep outdoor outlets covered when not in use.
- When outdoors, only use extension cords rated for outdoor use. These are designed to resist outdoor conditions.
- Use electrical appliances and tools rated for outdoor use.
- If you are planning to dig on your property, you must contact Ontario One Call a minimum of 5 days before you dig into a project of any size. It's free, it's easy, it's the law.
- Before you start any yard work or home maintenance outside, locate and be aware of overhead powerlines.
- Carry ladders horizontally. Never carry ladders vertically as they may come in contact or close to powerlines.
- You don’t have to touch a powerline to receive a deadly shock. Electricity can jump or “arc” to you or your tools if you get too close. Stay at least three metres (10 feet) away from powerlines.
- Never climb trees near powerlines.
- If you see a downed powerline, stay 10 metres (33 ft) or more away! Call InnPower at (705) 431-4321 and 911 immediately.